Win Lori Baker's The Glass Ocean and a personalised engraved jewellery box
Lori Baker's debut novel, The Glass Ocean, is a story of becoming. Flamehaired, six-foot-two in stocking feet, newly orphaned Carlotta Dell'oro recounts the lives of her parents - solitary glassmaker Leonardo Dell'oro and beautiful, unreachable Clotilde Girard - and discovers in their loves and losses, their omissions and obsessions, the circumstances of her abandonment and the weight of her inheritance.
With a master artisan's patience and exquisite craft, debut novelist Lori Baker has created a gemlike Victorian world, a place where mistakes of the past reappear in the future, art can destroy, and family is not to be trusted.
Read our interview with Lori, in which she talks about the real 19th-century glassmakers, Leopold and Rudolph Blaschka, who inspired the novel and her own deep love of the ocean.
Inspired by The Glass Ocean, glass engravers Frosted Lime have created a stunning design for this sea-green glass treasure chest jewellery box. The porthole motif provides an ideal space to have a name or short personalised message added and the winner of our competition will be able to choose the wording they would like to see added their prize.
Frosted Lime offer free bespoke engraving on a huge range of glass gifts: you can specify your wording, select from their own range of unique designs or even provide a design of your own.
See more from Frosted Lime on:
For your chance to win our prize of a hardback first edition of Lori Baker's The Glass Ocean and the glass jewellery box pictured with your design added, simply answer the question below.
CLOSING DATE: 10PM, SUNDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER
Which museum holds a collection of glass flowers created by Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka?
* Indicates a required field
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date, as stated above. All entries shall become the property of Foyles Bookshop, and their directors, officers, representatives, and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16.
4. The prizewinners will be decided by Foyles Bookshop. Foyles Bookshop will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winners. The prizewinners will need to respond within two weeks of being contacted by email; otherwise the prizes will be awarded to another correct entrant selected at random.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. For names and postcodes of winners, please contact Foyles. There is one prize, of a hardback first edition of The Glass Ocean and the engraved treasure chest jewellery box with the winner's wording added.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prizes or offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
7. The prizewinners will be notified by email. If any of the selected entrants do not meet all of the contract conditions, other entrants will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of Foyles Bookshop and and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prizes must be accepted as awarded.
10. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
11. All entries become the property of Foyles Bookshop, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by Foyles Bookshop on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Foyles Bookshop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Foyles Bookshop corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Foyles Bookshop reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0EB. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.