Win a signed first edition of Anthony Horowitz's Sherlock Holmes novel The House of Silk
Anthony Horowitz is an bestselling author and screenwriter perhaps best known as the creator of the Alex Rider teen spy novels and of long-running TV hit Foyle's War (named after our bookshop).
But he's also a devoted fan of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, so he was the ideal choice when the Conan Doyle Estate was looking for writer to bring the great detective back to life.
The House of Silk is the result, a truly authentic Sherlock Holmes mystery, set in 1890, that sees Holmes and faithful sidekick Dr Watson visited by an agitated gentleman who claims to have followed for weeks by a sinister scar-faced man. The duo are swiftly drawn into a series of puzzling event , stretching from the gas-lit streets of London to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston.
Courtesy of the pubuisher, Weidenfeld & Nicolson, we have a signed first edition of The House of Silk to give away. Just answer the question below for your chance to win.
CLOSING DATE: MIDNIGHT, FRIDAY 2ND DECEMBER 2011
In Conan Doyle's stories, when Sherlock Holmes retires to farm on the South Downs, what does he take up as his principal hobby?
* Indicates a required field
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date, as stated above. All entries shall become the property of Foyles Bookshop, and their directors, officers, representatives, and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16.
4. The prize winner will be decided by Foyles Bookshop. Foyles Bookshop will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. The winners will be announced on http://www.foyles.co.uk/competition-winners. There is one prize of a first edition hardback copy of The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson, signed by the author.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of Foyles Bookshop and and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
10. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
11. All entries become the property of Foyles Bookshop, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by Foyles Bookshop on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Foyles Bookshop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Foyles Bookshop corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Foyles Bookshop reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0EB. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.