Win tickets to Lucian Freud: Portraits at the National Portrait Gallery
"Everything is autobiographical and everything is a portrait, even if it's a chair." - Lucian Freud
Lucian Freud (1922-2011) was one of the most important and influential artists of his generation. Paintings of people were central to his work and the National Portrait Gallery's major new exhibition, Lucian Freud: Portraits (showing until 27th May), spanning over seventy years, is the first to focus on his portraiture.
Produced in close collaboration with the artist, it concentrates on particular periods and groups of sitters which illustrate his stylistic development and technical virtuosity. Featuring over 100 works from museums and private collections throughout the world, some of which have never been seen before, this is an unmissable opportunity to experience the work of one of the world's greatest artists.
Courtesy of the National Portrait Gallery, Foyles has a prize of a pair of exhibition tickets, the National Portrait Gallery exhibition catalogue and a copy of Lucian Freud: Painting People to give away. For your chance to win, just answer the question below.
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY 2ND MARCH 2012
Which of Freud's sitters said: "You can't have a smoke-free Bohemia, by definition"?
* Indicates a required field
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date, as stated above. All entries shall become the property of Foyles Bookshop, and their directors, officers, representatives, and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16.
4. The prizewinner will be decided by Foyles Bookshop. Foyles Bookshop will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner. The prizewinner will need to respond within two weeks of being contacted by email; otherwise the prize will be awarded to another correct entrant selected at random.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. The winners will be announced on http://www.foyles.co.uk/competition-winners. There is one prize of a two tickets to Lucian Freud: Portraits at the National Portrait Gallery, one hardback copy of the exhbition catalogue and one copy of Lucian Freud: Painting People, pubished by National Portrait Gallery Publications.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of Foyles Bookshop and and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
10. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
11. All entries become the property of Foyles Bookshop, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by Foyles Bookshop on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Foyles Bookshop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Foyles Bookshop corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Foyles Bookshop reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0EB. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.