Win a limited edition hardback proof of Sebastian Barry's On Canaan's Side
On Wednesday 3rd August, Foyles is proud to host award-winning writer Sebastian Barry at his only London event to promote his wonderful new novel, On Canaan's Side. (Click here to book free tickets.)
Narrated by Lilly Bere, the novel opens as she mourns the loss of her grandson, Bill. The story then goes back to the moment she was forced to flee Dublin, at the end of the First World War, and follows her life through into the new world of America, a world filled with both hope and danger. At once epic and intimate, Lilly's narrative unfurls as she tries to make sense of the sorrows and troubles of her life and of the people whose lives she has touched.
A playwright and poet as well as a novelist, Barry has won numerous prizes for his writing and was described by the Irish Times as "arguably our greatest living novelist".
His previous novel, The Secret Scripture, came within a single judge's vote of winning the 2008 Man Booker Prize, but subsequently took the Costa Book of the Year Award. 2005's A Long Long Way was also shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize and was selected for Dublin's 2007 One City One Book event, resulting in its being read by thousands of Dubliners simultaneously.
Sebastian's publishers, Faber & Faber, have produced a limited edition hardback proof (advanced reading copy) edition of On Canaan's Side, signed by Sebastian and uniquely numbered. Only 100 copies have been printed and this version is not available in bookshops, making it a highly desirable item for fans and book collectors.
Faber have generously provided Foyles with five copies to give away. For your chance to win one, simply answer the question below, no later than midnight on Sunday 7th August.
Sebastian Barry's previous novel The Secret Scripture won the 2008 Costa Book of the Year Award and which other major literary prize?
* Indicates a required field
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date. All entries shall become the property of Foyles Bookshop, and their directors, officers, representatives, and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16.
4. The prize winners will be decided by Foyles Bookshop. Foyles Bookshop will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. The winners will be announced on http://www.foyles.co.uk/competition-winners. There are five prizes, each of one copy of the book.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prizes or offer an alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winners will be notified by email. If the selected entrants do not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of Foyles Bookshop and and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prizes must be accepted as awarded.
10. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
11. All entries become the property of Foyles Bookshop, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by Foyles Bookshop on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Foyles Bookshop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Foyles Bookshop corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Foyles Bookshop reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0EB. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prizes.