Win a copy of Van Gogh: The Life
In Vincent Van Gogh's short life, the Dutch post-Impressionist prodcued over 2000 paintings, drawings and sketches, many of them now amongst the world's most well-known artworks.
Pulitzer-winning authors Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith spent ten years researching the artist, with the full cooperation of the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, to produce Van Gogh: The Life, already described by many reviewers as the definitive account of his life.
Amongst the new material is a vast amount of previously unpublished correspondence, but what has attracted most attention is their radical new theory that Van Gogh did not take his own life, as has always been assumed, but was accidentally shot by two teenagers, whom he then covered for on his death bed.
Courtesy of the publisher, Profile Books Ltd, Foyles has a first edition hardback copy to give away. For your chance to win, just answer the simple question below.
CLOSING DATE: MIDNIGHT, MONDAY 30TH OCTOBER 2011
Which of these paintings is not by Vincent Van Gogh?
* Indicates a required field
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date, as stated above. All entries shall become the property of Foyles Bookshop, and their directors, officers, representatives, and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16.
4. The prize winner will be decided by Foyles Bookshop. Foyles Bookshop will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. The winners will be announced on http://www.foyles.co.uk/competition-winners. There is one prize of a first edition hardback copy of Van Gogh: The Life by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith published by Profile Books Ltd.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of Foyles Bookshop and and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
10. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
11. All entries become the property of Foyles Bookshop, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by Foyles Bookshop on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Foyles Bookshop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Foyles Bookshop corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Foyles Bookshop reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0EB. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.