Close
Enter your search into one or more of the boxes below:
You can refine your search by selecting from any of the options below:
Search
Your Shopping Basket
Total number of items: 0
Sub total: £0.00
Go to Checkout
Our Birmingham Shop
Our Bristol Shop
Animators Survival Kit

BA-Iberia merger confirmed

13th November 2009

British Airways (BA) and Iberia have announced that they will merge in late 2010, creating one of the biggest airlines in the world.

The carriers revealed that BA will own 55 per cent of new holding company TopCo, while its Spanish partner will own the remaining 45 per cent.

Both firms will retain their own names and brands, but will have a combined fleet of 419 aircraft and cover 205 destinations between them.

Willie Walsh, chief executive of BA, commented: 'The merger will create a strong European airline well able to compete in the 21st century.'

Iberia chairman and chief executive Antonio Vazquez said that the agreement is a 'giant step' for both carriers and will create a 'real global airline'.

'We are more prepared than ever to face future challenges,' he added.

The companies claimed that the merger will improve customer service by offering passengers more competitive prices, enhanced frequent flyer perks and a greater number of destinations.

Last month, airport operator BAA confirmed that it will sell Gatwick Airport to US-based investment fund Global Infrastructure Partners for GBP 1.51 billion.

Latest Blog
#FoylesFive: Celebrating Beer
23/07/2017

Earlier this year, Belgian beer culture finally officially took its rightful place on the World's Intangible Cultural Heritage list, where it now sits in good company with the likes of the French gastronomic meal, Cuban rumba, and Spanish flamenco. To celebrate, here's is a far from exhaustive selection of some of the beer literature that can help you better appreciate the delicate arts of brewing and drinking beer.

#FoylesFave: Dunkirk
21/07/2017

This month history buffs and film fans are united as they eagerly await Christopher Nolan's portrayal of Dunkirk. Madga from our Birmingham branch reviews the accompanying book.

#FoylesFave: Theft by Finding
19/07/2017

Meg from our web team discusses her love for all things Sedaris as his first volume of diaries is published.

View all Blog Entries
Twitter
Show/Hide Tweets
© W&G Foyle Ltd